Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sometimes the Scale is Not Your Friend, and that's Okay

Today when I weighed in I was surprised to see a 0.7lb gain.  It really didn't bother me because I knew that it wasn't from lack of exercise or watching what I had consumed.  I was expecting weeks like this because I've lost weight before and I know that sometimes your body needs a week or two to breathe and take in the ridiculous amount of change you're forcing on it.  Hopefully I'll have a really great loss next week, but if I don't, that's okay too.  I know that I will reach my goal.

Things that are improving in spite of the scale:
- I had to buy new work out shorts because most of my old pairs are falling down when I run
- My small jeans are starting to get a bit loose
- I can fit into shirts I haven't been able to in years
- I can wear my engagement ring for the first time since Daniel was born

I met my running goal for Friday!  I was really proud of myself.
This is what my run looked like:
3.5 @5.5mph
0.5 @5mph
0.5 @4.5mph (I can actually walk at this pace now...weird)
The rest @4mph until my 5 minute cool down

Total miles = 5.32
Calories burned (according to the machine, taking into account my weight and age) = 921

This week, I'm going to aim for 4 miles @5.5mph.  I might even try to throw in a little bit of 6mph in there.  I am really hoping to be able to run a 10K in the near future.  I am seriously enjoying running.  I used to scoff when someone said they ran for 8 miles.  Now, running eight miles sounds like a blast!

*Fun Fact*
According to an expert in Runner's World Magazine, if you work out for longer than an hour, your body needs electrolytes.  On my running days, I never felt like I could get enough water (even when I was drinking 4 liters per day).  Apparently, I needed to get some electrolytes in after working out.  Another fun fact, peaches are a great natural source of electrolytes.  I just picked some up at the commissary today ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment